I Am Not In Charge
I Am Not in Charge is an 8-week devotional where author Ness Cannon shows us—through her own story, Scripture, and thought-provoking questions—how to take baby steps toward peace and connection through accepting what we can—and can't—control.
Author Ness Cannon wrote I Am Not in Charge for those who wish they had more control over all the moving parts in their lives. A few years ago, a life-changing MS diagnosis set Ness on a journey of confronting her struggle with control and discovering there is freedom in accepting that we are not in charge. In I Am Not in Charge, you, like Ness, will learn how to take practical steps with Jesus towards self-compassion, connection with others, vulnerability, and embracing your own story.
I AM NOT IN CHARGE
This Devotional is for you if...
- You really like to be in charge of things.
- You find it hard to let go.
- You get angry or crushed when things seem to spiral out of control and tend to tighten your grip even more.
If these words resonate, this devotional is for you.
I Am Not in Charge
Length of Study: 8 weeks
Focal Scripture: Jesus’ ministry in the gospels
“Letting go of control isn’t easy, but I’m hoping this journey will help you take steps closer to Jesus as we follow the path he blazed through the Bible to freedom.”
—Author Ness Cannon
The Devotional Structure
Structure: 1 main weekly reading
Elements: questions, action steps
Ness interweaves personal stories with Scripture passages into an engaging weekly reading. Each week includes guided questions interspersed throughout the text and end-of-week action steps to help you reflect on what you've read and learned.
TESTIMONIALS FROM THE HOSANNA COMMUNITY
A Note from author Ness Cannon
“You brave and beautiful humans, I’m so glad you are here with me. I want you to know that I’ve thought about you, prayed for you, and sweated it out trying to honor you with this little devotional.
When I was a kid, I loved to swing at the playground. And when I thought I couldn’t go any higher, I’d count to three and jump off. Letting go meant I didn’t have the safety of the swing anymore. Letting go meant I wasn’t in control. But letting go also meant I was really flying.
Jesus understands letting go; he can lead us there. Let's loosen our grip on the swing. One, two, three, let's jump...”
This Devotional is for people who…
(Extended version by author Ness Cannon)
1. Feel guilty after they take a nap.
2. Think naps are a spiritual practice.
3. Don’t know how to say no because they just want to help EVERY HUMAN ALIVE.
4. Have a ten-year-plan for their lives.
5. Don’t have a 10-minute-plan for their lives.
6. Cry in the shower.
7. Think people who cry in the shower are babies.
8. Can’t let go of that one negative comment.
9. Think that they are mostly, always, correct.
10. Feel pressure when they change their bio.
11. Answer e-mails at 9 pm.
12. Die a little on the inside when they get an A-
13. Have 20 unanswered texts on their phone.
14. Hate looking weak. Ever.
15. Are a little bit of a perfectionist. Or have more than 3 monogrammed items. (Which may be the same thing?)
16. Think that God wishes they were doing more.
17. Wishes that everybody else was doing as much as they are doing.
18. Have doubts in their faith and feel alone.
19. Have a hard time prioritizing rest.
20. Feel like their life is out of control.
21. Have laminated chore charts.
22. Secretly judge others without laminated chore charts.
23. Want practical ways to take steps with Jesus towards self-compassion, connection with others, vulnerability and embracing their own story.
Meet the Author
Ness is a writer, speaker, teacher, wife, mother of 3, small business owner, designer, pug mom, and perpetual student. Her greatest hope is to remind you that you aren’t alone. God has saved a seat for you at His table and you absolutely belong.